1. Literary Culture in the Colonies.
- Mary Rowlandson.
2. The Puritan Background: Writings.
- Anne Bradstreet.
3. Revolution and the Republic.
- Philip Freneau.
- Benjamin Franlkin.
4. The Early Prominence of American Literature:
- Edgar Allan Poe.
5. American Renaissance.
- Hemran Melville.
6. New American Verse in the 19th Century.
- Emily Dickinson.
- Walt Whitman.
7. Late 19th-Century American Fiction.
- Mark Twain.
. Kate Chopin.
Literary Culture in the Colonies
LITERARY CULTURE IN THE COLONIES
- Text: Some excerpts from A
Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary
Subjects of discussion in class:
- Cultural scene: Possibilities and
- Wide Circulated Books.
All these bibliographical references can be found at
the Universidad de La Laguna
Central Library (Guajara Campus):
- On Colonial America:
- Canup, John. Out of the Wilderness: The Emergence
of an American Identity in Colonial
New England. Middletown: Wesleyan UP, 1990.
- Lance, Jacqueline. "Rethinking Early American Colonial
Writings." American Quarterly 53.1
(March 2001): 148-155.
- On Mary Rowlandson:
- Andrews, William L., ed. "A True History of the
Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Rowlandson.
Edited with an Introduction, by Amy Schragerhang." Journeys
in New Worlds: Early American
Women's Narratives. Madison: The U of Wisconsin
P, 1990. 11-65.
- Lougheed, Pamela. "'Then Began He to Rant and Threaten':
Indian Malice and Individual
Liberty in Mary Rowlandson's Captivity Narrative." American
Literature 74.2 (June 2002): 287-313.
Please, visit these sites for further information:
- On Colonial America: http://www.sageamericanhistory.net/colonial/index.html
- By Mary Rowlandson: http://csivc.csi.cuny.edu/history/files/lavender/rowlandson.html
- On Mary Rowlandson: https://public.wsu.edu/~campbelld/amlit/rowlandson.htm
|This Web Site was created by and maintained by Manuel
Brito. This web page, as well as all of its
graphics and pictures were made by Manuel Brito. Said
works may not be reproduced in or on any form
of media, electronic, or otherwise without the consent
of the authors. This site © 2019-2020.
All rights reserved.
click here for my