1. Literary Culture in the Colonies.
- Mary Rowlandson.
2. The Puritan Background: Writings.
- Anne Bradstreet.
3. Revolution and the Republic.
- Philip Freneau.
4. The Early Prominence of American Literature:
- Washington Irving.
- James Fenimore.
- Edgar Allan
5. The American Renaissance.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson.
- Henry David Thoreau..
6. New American Verse in the 19th Century.
7. Late 19th-Century American Fiction.
- Mark Twain.
Literary Culture in the Colonies
LITERARY CULTURE IN THE COLONIES
- Text: Some excerpts from A Narrative
of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary
Subjects of discussion in class:
- Cultural scene: Possibilities
- Wide Circulated Books.
All these bibliographical references can be found
at the Universidad de La Laguna
Central Library (Guajara Campus):
- On Colonial America:
- Canup, John. Out of the Wilderness: The Emergence
of an American Identity in Colonial
New England. Middletown: Wesleyan UP, 1990.
- Lance, Jacqueline. "Rethinking Early American
Colonial Writings." American Quarterly 53.1
(March 2001): 148-155.
- On Mary Rowlandson:
- Andrews, William L., ed. "A True History of
the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Rowlandson.
Edited with an Introduction, by Amy Schragerhang."
Journeys in New Worlds: Early American
Women's Narratives. Madison: The U of Wisconsin
P, 1990. 11-65.
- Lougheed, Pamela. "'Then Began He to Rant and
Threaten': Indian Malice and Individual
Liberty in Mary Rowlandson's Captivity Narrative."
American Literature 74.2 (June 2002): 287-313.
Please, visit these sites for further information:
- On Colonial America: http://www.sageamericanhistory.net/colonial/index.html
- By Mary Rowlandson: https://history.hanover.edu/hhr/hhr4-2.html
- On Mary Rowlandson: https://public.wsu.edu/~campbelld/amlit/rowlandson.htm
|This Web Site was created by and maintained by Manuel
Brito. This web page, as well as all of its
graphics and pictures were made by Manuel
Brito. Said works may not be reproduced in or on any form
of media, electronic, or otherwise without
the consent of the authors. This site © 2020-2021.
All rights reserved.
click here for my